I started Portland Family Adventures three years ago, and I never thought that it would generate such a strong following (600+ subscribers!), 130 followers on Facebook. Please, if you have some time, spread the word about this free community resource with your fellow parenting friends. The more the merrier!
Except for one article, I’ve written everything, edited the pictures, videos, and updated articles as necessary. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it, and I’m looking forward to many years to come. I want to thank everyone for their support and kind words. Here are some stats and information about the last three years you might find interesting.
- Since I started tracking page views in January of 2008: half a million!
- Average time on site: Almost 3 minutes per visit
- Average pages visited per visitor: 3.76
- Site is visited by people from over 140 different countries
- Total articles published – 163
- YouTube videos – 143 (www.youtube.com/schrecv)
- YouTube video views – 132,640
- Most watched YouTube video – 25, 083 views “Great Wolf Lodge Revisited“
- Visitor increase comparing summer 2009 to 2010 – 78%
- Page views increase comparing summer 2009 to 2010 – 83%
- Page views June/July/August 2010 – 90,000
I could go on and on with the statistics, but for me, it’s been about building solid relationships with subscribers, sponsors, vendors, various businesses, and adventure supporters. These folks have helped provide the necessary resources for our family to experience various activities and continually write about them for you. There are many to mention, but I fear I’ll miss someone! So if you’ve been a site sponsor, THANK YOU!
What does the future hold? Well, I hope I’m able to expand Portland Family Adventures into print with books and/or a magazine in the next couple of years. I’d also certainly like the opportunity to meet subscribers face-to-face and have our community interact in some way. It would be nice to gather families to share some hikes, parks, disc-golf, or even a resort. I’m working with businesses to try to make discounts available for Portland Family Adventure events. If all goes well, these events could start happening within the next couple of months.
Also celebrating three years is my incredibly talented band “The Toy Trains.” The link is our Facebook page. Please become a fan, and we’ll send you updates on shows. We’re also online at: www.toytrainsband.com.
While we started out playing mainly Dan Zanes’ cover songs, 75% of our set is now original material! We have a great line-up of stand-up bass, drums, electric and acoustic guitars, mandolin, violin, and four singers. Have you been to a show yet? If not, your family is missing out on a lot of fun. We will rock your kids’ socks off! Plus, there is always time for your kids to tour the stage and look at the instruments. During the finale of every show, we have your kids come up and sing with us. We’ve also had several kid-guest-musicians over the years.
Our next show is Saturday, November 20th at the Mississippi Pizza Pub in North Portland (4:00 – 5:15). Come early if you want a table. It’s $5 for anyone over the age of 12 years.
Here is a clip of my son Arlo rocking out on stage during the sound-check.
Finally, I want to say a few special thank yous:
- I want thank my partner in crime Dr. Holly Beckwith (www.drhollybeckwith.com) and my two kids Rhys (now 7!) and Arlo (2). Holly is Naturopathic Physician specializing in pediatrics and women’s health. Holly has been a good sport about my constant camera use wherever we go. Sometimes, it feels like we’re on a reality show! Frankly, sometimes the adventures haven’t been that great. Those times, I’ve counted on her to help motivate our kids, so we can make the most out of a *potentially* disappointing situation. Plus, she’s always up for an adventure!
- There have been many sponsors who have helped me out the last three years. However, there were four in particular with large Internet followings who ad-traded with me when I was just starting the site. Despite having less than 50 visits per day (at the time), they wanted to help me out and tell people about my site. Thank you “Urban Mamas, Metro-Parent, NW Kids (still a sponsor!), and 52 Perfect Days (still a sponsor!).” These are all great websites!
- There would be no Portland Family Adventures without Josh Jacobs of Mandala Designs. Josh helped me clarify my vision for Portland Family Adventures through many friendly conversations. He went on to set me up with WordPress, and has fine-tuned things for me ever since. He’s a gifted developer who recently created “Baby’s Here,” which is an application for the iphone. Thank you Josh for your continuous support of Portland Family Adventures.
Other Posts of Interest...
Sky High Sports - Trampolines! on February 28th, 2011
Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge on August 29th, 2013
Vancouver Lake Park on August 15th, 2013